Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Genesis: not quite as cool as the band... but almost.

I remember reading or at least learning Genesis in my little kid Bible School. The weird thing is I remember the difference in Genesis 1 and 2 I always just thought it was more of a recap, like chapter one described everything God did and then chapter two broke it down on another level. Only now that I am reading it do I see the obvious differences, it is actually two separate accounts. The main difference at the front of my mind is how in Genesis 1 man and woman are created at the same time. In Genesis 2 woman is created from Adam's rib. I read an article last year that said a very large percent of youth in school actually believe men have one less rib than females because of this story! Many high school biology teachers have a really hard time convincing their students otherwise. Other notable differences are the order of what was created when. Genesis 1 states that both plants and animals came before man whereas in Genesis 2 man came first. You would think the first individuals who put this book together would have noted these differences and maybe just gone with one.
After doing a little research on the two chapters from what Michael said, scholars believe there are two different authors in Chapter one and two. Author J refers to the author that refers to God as Jehovah or YHWH. Author E refers to the author that refers to God as Elohim. All this is very interesting and very new information to me.

On another note, I'm making pretty good progress on the Good Book by Plotz and I must say I find it HILARIOUS! Some of my favorite quotes: "God scorns Cain's vegan platter, so Cain jealously slays his carnivorous brother," (p 10). "The biggest, nastiest fraternal rivalry of them all: Joseph versus his ten elder brothers in a no-holds-barred battle to the death (or slavery)," (p 24). "My favorite detail: All Earth's creatures except those on the ark have died. But what is the very first thing Noah does after landfall? he makes an animal sacrifice," (p 12).

Haha! Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment